As a county commissioner, Dan has successfully pushed for affordable workforce housing, lower health insurance costs, wildfire preparedness and protection and improvements to transportation infrastructure. He is a respected collaborator and a strong proponent of building partnerships across agencies, nonprofits and private-sector organizations to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of government operations and services.
Prior to his tenure as a commissioner, Dan represented Summit County in the Colorado House of Representatives and in the State Senate. His legislative accomplishments include securing funding for wildfire mitigation and forest health, workplace accommodations for nursing mothers, offering of bachelor’s degrees at Colorado Mountain College and stricter chain laws for trucks on interstate highways. In the Senate, he chaired the Senate Transportation Committee and served on the Senate Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee.
Dan is a seasonal certified wildland firefighter and is affiliated with the ROSS system, through which he is on call to fight wildfires throughout the United States. He chairs the Summit County Wildfire Council and serves as chair of the statewide Wildland Fire and Prescribed Fire Matters Advisory Committee.
Dan serves on numerous civic boards and committees, including Chair I-70 Coalition, Chair I-70 Collaborative Effort Chair, Board Breckenridge Heritage Alliance, Board Little Red Schoolhouse, Rotary Club of Summit County, Board Summit County Chamber of Commerce, President Colorado Counties Inc. Mountain District, Board Colorado Mountain College Community Advisory, Board Summit Stage, Chair Club 20 Health Care Committee, Board Governors Forest Health Advisory Council, Chair Emergency Fire Fund. He also teaches skiing at the Breckenridge Nordic Center.
Dan enjoys all that living in the High Country has to offer, including telemark and cross-country skiing, hiking, running, mountain biking and fishing. He is a resident of Breckenridge, Colorado, where he lives with his wife Johanna, daughter Grace and son Tate. He is a graduate of Western State Colorado University.
Whether as a Wildland Firefighter, State Senator, or current County Commissioner, Dan Gibbs has proven he gets the job done for Summit County. Dan is working hard to make a difference by:
Fighting to insure quality health insurance in our High Country is affordable.
Working to expand future workforce housing needs.
Advocating resources for wildfire preparedness.
Championing stewardship of our natural resources.
Shaping the future transportation needs of our community and state.
Helping ensure the success of future generations through strong community partnerships.
Ensuring fiscal responsibility in the use of public resources.
Public Policy Goals:
- Identify and act on opportunities to provide affordable workforce housing so that people can live and work in our community.
- Protect, manage, conserve and restore our natural resources for the benefit of current and future generations.
- Ensure affordability and accessibility of services that support the comprehensive health and well-being of children, families and seniors.
- Develop and implement strategies to effectively address growth, sustainability and livability of our dynamic community.
- Celebrate and embrace Summit County’s history and diversity.
- Ensure the long-term financial stability of Summit County government.
- Promote collaboration, consolidation and communication within our organization and among public agencies, nonprofit organizations, private-sector partners and citizens to ensure the efficient delivery of high-quality, non-duplicative services to the community.
Commissioner Dan Gibbs has served on the Summit Board of County Commissioners since 2010. He feels blessed to represent Summit County and is working to make a difference in the community he lives in and loves.